Technical Assistance Programs
Construction Business Development Center (CBDC)
The Construction Business Development Center (CBDC) administered by the Illinois Community College Board is focused on developing flexible, customized training and technical assistance to provide small, minority- and women-owned firms in the construction industry with the skills and knowledge to help them grow and succeed.
The CBDC provides one-on-one support to help businesses compete for and win opportunities to participate as prime contractors and subcontractors on Tollway construction projects.
How It Works
1. Work directly with a construction business specialist who will help create a business profile and action plan
2. Create an individualized Technical Assistance Plan:
- Outline technical assistance components of your needs
- Map individual progress
- Submit bid packets to the Tollway
Technical Assistance may include:
- Finance and accounting
- Estimating and bidding
- Doing business with the Illinois Tollway
- How to be successful as a subcontractor
- Tools for technology
- Project management
- Safety and field operations
- Business and marketing plan development
3. Provide customized technical assistance via one or a combination of:
- Personalized assistance – typically done with a consultant or other entity that has a particular expertise
- Seminars/workshops – could be individual or group offering with both classroom and online availability
- Access to entities with particular expertise
Find more information online or contact manager Paul Murtagh at 708-709-3692.
Construction Coaching for Growth (CC4G)
The Tollway has implemented its Construction Coaching for Growth Program for small business owners specializing in heavy highway construction.
This program is designed to provide established and diverse construction businesses targeted training and direct, strategic business counseling in an effort to support and promote business growth and participation in Tollway contract opportunities.
Through participation in the six-month program, which includes one-on-one training and a series of group workshops, participants develop a multidisciplinary framework to increase their competitiveness, drive revenue growth and profitability.
For more information on CC4G eligibility requirements, visit http://www.ihccbusiness.net/construction-c4g/.
The Tollway has recently entered into partnerships with the Hispanic American Construction Industry Association and the Illinois Black Chamber of Commerce to provide in-depth, long-term technical assistance over two or more years to small, diverse and veteran contractors. The goal is to provide technical assistance intervention in all areas of business development required to become effective heavy highway construction contractors.
Examples of this hands-on assistance include:
- Long-term mentorship model
- ¿¿Facilitating access to capital and guidance in financing and bonding assistance options
- IDOT prequalification submittal assistance for specialty firms
- Accounting system assistance, including certified payroll reports, change orders and project close-out
- Proactive community, government relations and construction industry outreach ¿¿
- One-on-one counseling