New distracted driving laws prohibit the use of all hand-held electronic devices while driving on all public roads in Illinois all the time, which includes work zones. The use of electronic communications devices or any other electronic device, to text, email, compose, read or send electronic messages or access the Internet while driving a motor vehicle at any time is also prohibited.
Work Zone Safety Statistics
On average, there are 4,800 work zone motor vehicle crashes in Illinois each year. In 2013, those crashes resulted in more than 1,000 injuries.
Preliminary data indicates that of the 25 fatal work zone crashes in 2013, there were 28 fatalities to 17 drivers, five passengers, three motorcyclists, two pedestrians and one construction worker.
For more information, please see:
We need your help to stop traffic deaths in Illinois.
Tips for safer driving
- Don't text and drive
- Save a life - buckle up
- Turn off your cell phone while driving
- Don't drink and drive
- Motorists can call *999 for roadway assistance.
- Illinois State Police District 15 patrols the 286-mile Tollway system.
- Customers can drive worry free by taking advantage of free Child Safety Seat inspections to make sure kids are properly secured.
- Tollway oases are a great place to rest and refuel, with a variety of food and beverage offerings and fuel stations.
- On the road and need to update your I-PASS account or add funds to your balance? Stop into one of our five Tollway Customer Service Centers.
The new Illinois Tollway guide provides a quick reference to local hotels and tourism attractions located near each of the Tollway's interchanges.
Attractions and facilities have been identified in coordination with the Illinois Office of Tourism and local convention and visitors bureaus. For additional Illinois tourism information, visit www.enjoyillinois.com.
Illinois Travel Guide
The Illinois Travel Guide provides you with all the tools to have a memorable experience in Illinois. Whether you prefer the bustling culture of the big city, the hospitality of small towns or the serene beauty of natural wonders, Illinois is sure to please.
Know Before You Go
The Tollway offers a variety of ways for drivers to get the latest information on travel and roadway construction to help you plan your trip, including:
- www.illinoistollway.com – Construction/Planning section and Tollway Trip Calculator
- www.travelmidwest.com – Real-time travel times
- www.twitter.com – Real-time roadway incident information at Tollway Trip 90, Tollway Trip 88, Tollway Trip 355 and Tollway Trip 94/294
- 1-800-TOLL-FYI – Daily lane closure information