Accident Information

The Illinois State Police District 15 handles traffic crashes that occurr on the Illinois Tollway, including entrance and exit ramps.

If you are involved in a property damage crash with no injuries and all vehicles are drivable, go to the nearest toll plaza or Tollway maintenance facility and ask a Tollway employee to notify a trooper that you would like a crash report. Exchange information with the other drivers involved.

From the other drivers involved, you will need:

  • Name
  • Home address
  • Phone number
  • Driver's license number and state
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle identification numbers (found on the dashboard through the windshield on the driver's side), make, model, year and type of vehicle

If your vehicle is drivable, remove it from the traveled portion of the roadway as soon as possible.

Do not wait for a trooper to arrive to see where the cars were at the time of the accident. Leaving cars in the roadway creates a hazard to you and other drivers and may cause additional crashes. If you are involved in a property damage crash, you may also call 630-241-6800 extension 5028 and request an appointment to complete a crash report by phone. The officer taking your call will provide additional instructions.

To obtain a copy of a crash report handled by the Illinois State Police:

  • Verify the Illinois State Police handled the crash report by referring to the "Investigated By" box located in the upper left corner of the report.
  • If it does not indicate "Illinois State Police," please contact the listed agency to obtain a copy of your crash report.
  • Go to the Illinois State Police District 15 headquarters at 2700 Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove, Illinois – south entrance.
  • Submit a written request.

If you do not have a crash report, contact the Illinois State Police District 15 at 630-241-6800 extension 5010 to verify whether or not the Illinois State Police District 15 handled this crash.

To submit a written request:

Your request should contain as much of the following information as possible:

  • The agency report number - located in the upper middle portion of the accident report.
  • The IDOT number - located under the bar code on the top right-hand side of the motorist report.
  • The date of the accident, driver's name and/or a passenger's name.

Include a check or money order in the amount of $5 for accident reports or $20 for an accident reconstruction report made payable to "Illinois State Police." Please do not send cash. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Submit the written request to:
Illinois State Police District 15
2700 Ogden Ave.
Downers Grove, IL 60515