Toll Violation Information

All drivers on the Illinois Tollway system are required to pay the proper toll indicated by signs posted at toll plazas. Failure to pay the proper toll will result in the issuance of a Notice of Toll Violation requiring the registered owner of the vehicle to pay fines, as well as the unpaid tolls at the cash rate.

Under the Illinois Tollway's regulations, Notices of Toll Violation are sent to customers who accumulate three or more toll violations over a two-year period. The Tollway will send out a violation notice within 90 days of the user's third violation within a rolling two-year period.

A Notice of Toll Violation will come in the mail and include a photo of one of the violation events that the Illinois Tollway has on record, as well as details of the date, time and location of each violation event.

View an example notice.
Review violation images online.

Pay a Toll Violation

Pay your toll violation immediately.

You will need your violation notice number, plate number and plate state/type.

If you are an I-PASS or E-ZPass customer whose account is in good standing at the time of the violation(s), you do not need to schedule a hearing.

Dispute a Toll Violation

Upon 30 days of receipt of the initial toll violation notice, drivers may:

Dispute an Image

Customers can view the license plate images associated with toll violation notices online, select from two dispute options and file the dispute electronically.

A violation notice number and license plate number are required to enter the violation image database. Once a notice is accessed, customers can choose from two dispute options: "plate incorrect" or "missing image." Each notice number must be disputed separately. An automated email confirmation is sent to confirm that the dispute has been received. Once a dispute has been reviewed by Tollway staff, notification of the decision is sent via email.

Enter the violation image database

Contest a Toll Violation

We have streamlined the process to contest a toll violation.

Drivers who wish to contest a toll violation can download an affidavit of nonliability form, indicate the reason they are contesting the toll violation and mail the form along with the required documentation to the Tollway. A written notice of the agency's decision will be mailed to the customer. If the reason for contesting the toll violation is not listed on the form, customers can call Tollway Customer Service at 800-UC-IPASS (800-824-7277) for assistance.

Request a Hearing

You have 30 days from the issue date of the first Notice of Toll Violation to contest the violation(s) by requesting an administrative hearing. An administrative hearing can be conducted in person or by mail. Administrative hearings are less formal than a state court trial but still follow a basic structure to ensure fairness and due process of law.

The hearing officer does not have the legal authority to:

  • Negotiate or offer a settlement.
  • Waive or lower the mandatory fine/toll amount.
  • Extend the payment deadline or grant a payment plan.

If a hearing officer finds you liable, you will no longer be eligible for a settlement.

Before you request a hearing, please consider the following:

  • If you submitted a missed toll payment within 7 days and believe you received the notice in error, please call 800-UC-IPASS (800-824-7277) or visit a Customer Service Center for assistance.
  • If you were an I-PASS or E-ZPass customer at the time of the violations, please call 800-UC-IPASS (800-824-7277) or visit a Customer Service Center for assistance.
  • Lack of familiarity with our roads, signs or tolling infrastructure are not considered grounds for the dismissal of violations. We appreciate that traveling from one jurisdiction to another often requires travelers to follow different traffic laws and practices, but hearing officers are charged with helping uphold the rules consistently among our 1.5 million daily drivers.

A letter will be mailed to you providing the date and time of your hearing.

Electronically request a hearing be scheduled.

Find out more

Violation Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question to view the answer.

If you had a valid I-PASS account at the time of the violations, the notice may have been issued because:

  • Your I-PASS account information is not up to date – current license plate number/type or credit card information is outdated
  • Your transponder may not have been in the vehicle or was not properly mounted.

You do not need to schedule a hearing. However, prior to the due date on the violation notice, you do need to pay the cash rate for the missed tolls and update your I-PASS account information.

Call 800-UC-IPASS (800-824-7277) or visit any of our customer service centers and a customer service representative will assist you to resolve the violation notice. To update your account information online please go to

If your I-PASS account was suspended at the time of the violations, you are liable for both the tolls and fines issued in the violation notice until you reinstate your I-PASS account. To reinstate your I-PASS account, you must close all open violations (which you can do per the Settlement Guidelines), and you must bring the balance of your I-PASS account positive.

All persons receiving a Notice of Toll Violation have the right to contest the violations by requesting an administrative hearing prior to the due date listed on that notice.

Another option is to complete an Affidavit of Nonliability form and submit to the Tollway for review.

If you are not contesting the violations, they can be paid online, in person at any of our customer service centers, by phone at 800-UC-IPASS (800-824-7277), or by mail in the form of a cashier's check or money order. Please mail your payment to:
Illinois Tollway
PO Box 5544
Chicago, IL 60680-5544

Please include the bottom portion of the violation notice with your payment.
Make the cashier's check or money order payable to the Illinois Tollway.

I-PASS and E-ZPass customers who receive a Notice of Toll Violation from the Illinois Tollway, may be eligible to pay only the cash rate for tolls if they meet the following requirements:

  • The I-PASS or E-ZPass account must have been opened prior to the time of the violation and the account must be in good standing.
  • One of the two following conditions must be met:
    1. The license plate on the violation notice was listed on the I-PASS or E-ZPass account prior to the issue date of the violation notice.
    2. The name or address on the violation notice matches the name or address on the I-PASS or E-ZPass account.
  • The toll payments must be received before the due date of the Final Order of Liability. Find toll payment and settlement guidelines.

Customers who fail to respond prior to the due date of the Final Order of Liability may be eligible to pay a settlement amount as outlined by the Illinois Tollway.

E-ZPass customers must download an affidavit of nonliability form and mail the completed form along with the required documentation and toll payment to the Tollway.

What if my account is not in good standing?
I-PASS and E-ZPass customers who have a negative account balance must bring the account into good standing to qualify for a settlement. I-PASS account holders can add funds to their account online, by calling the Customer Call Center at 800-UC-IPASS, or by visiting one of the Customer Service Centers.

I-PASS and E-ZPass customers must include their license plate information on their account to qualify for a settlement. I-PASS account holders can update account information or add funds to their account online by calling the Customer Call Center at 800-UC-IPASS, or by visiting one of the Customer Service Centers.

Any customer who chooses to pursue a hearing and is found liable for the violation no longer qualifies for a settlement. Hearing officers do not have the authority to grant a settlement.

What if I am not an I-PASS or E-ZPass customer?
Until the date a violation notice is referred to a collection agency, a person can pay the tolls at the cash rate and the associated $20 fines even if $50 fines have been added to the notice. Find toll violation payment and settlement guidelines.

What if I can't pay my violation notice?
Customers who are unable to pay their violation fines can apply for a non-standard settlement. Customers must submit an application to the Tollway requesting a non-standard settlement. The application requests data about monthly income, expenses and other relevant financial information. It also requests a customer to provide a suggested settlement amount.

In addition to a completed application, the response must include a pay stub and may include bank statements, credit card statements, tax returns, medical bills and loan documents, for example.

Download an application for a non-standard settlement.

Images are available online, by mail and in person. Requests must include the following information:

  • Violation notice number
  • License plate number and state
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Mailing address (if violation image is being mailed)
  • Email address

To view your violation images online:
Enter the violation database.
To receive your violation images by mail:
Mail your request to:
Illinois Tollway
ATTN: Violation Images
2700 Ogden Ave
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Email your request to: Illinois Tollway.
To schedule a review of your violation images in person (viewed on screen):
Call 800-UC-IPASS (800-824-7277).

The identification begins with digital image captures of license plates when no toll payment is recorded for vehicles traveling through a toll plaza. This can result in the issuance of a toll violation after a thorough image review process.

All violation images are first cross referenced with the I-PASS data base, so tolls can be deducted from accounts in good standing rather than issuing a toll violation.

For I-PASS customers it is important to:

  • Mount your transponder
  • Ensure your transponder is working
  • Keep account information up to day (including license plate numbers, plate state and types as well as credit card information)

For cash customers it is important that people stop and pay their tolls properly to avoid any chance of a violation. If a driver does not come to a complete stop when paying a toll, the toll collection equipment is not able to assign a coin count to the vehicle record and the transaction cannot be verified as completed.


Find more frequently asked questions and their responses

Violation Timeline

All violation notices with an issue date of 10/17/14 or after will provide customers with a 30 day timeframe within which to resolve that notice.

Toll Violation Notice Payment Timeline

View a detailed timeline that includes typical milestones in the collections process for violators who do not pay their violation notices on time.

Text version of the violation timeline