Illinois Tollway Recognizes Technical Assistace Program Graduates
The Illinois Tollway congratulates leaders from 17 firms graduating in June from its Technical Assistance Program administered by Inner-City Underwriting Agency.
The business owners were recognized at a ceremony in Matteson for successfully completing a six-week estimating class that provided participants with skills that will help them submit more accurate and competitive construction-related bids.
“We want to congratulate these business leaders for graduating from the Illinois Tollway’s Technical Assistance Program, which provides valuable training and skills that will help them succeed as they pursue future projects and grow their firms,” said Illinois Tollway Executive Director Cassaundra Rouse. “The Tollway is committed to working with Inner-City Underwriting and other partners to offer the assistance needed to expand the pool of small and diverse firms that are qualified to compete for work on projects for the Tollway and other agencies.”
The Technical Assistance Program’s newest graduates include representatives of 17 firms from various industries, including electrical, landscaping, excavation, concrete and masonry work, commercial cleaning, heating and cooling, demolition and remodeling and land acquisition services. Graduates to be recognized for their accomplishments include:
- Bernie McNally, Brophy Excavation -- Chicago
- Quentin Wainwright Sr., Kee Solutions – Rockford
- Brian Ingram, La Keys Construction – Hazel Crest
- Maurice Miller, Miller’s Heating and Cooling – Chicago
- Ismael Alvarez, Pavement Systems – Blue Island
- Richard Nichols, Plumbing Solutions – Chicago
- Anna Hall, P & H Divine Plumbing – Chicago
- Bridget Booker, Reign Construction Inc. – Peoria
- Randy Green, RTG Electrical Corporation – South Holland
- Marvin Parks, Select Development Firm – Chicago
- Calvin Payne, Simply E & C – Chicago
- Joyce Dye, S & M Snow Plow Corp. – Chicago
- LaTonya Trotter, Synergy Development Firm – Markham
- Jeanette Wright, Tomboy Construction – Oak Lawn
- Donna Hurns, UNI-T Construction – Chicago
- Jimmy Williams, Urban Roots – Chicago
- Michael Buffington, Alpha Electrical Services LLC
The Illinois Tollway Technical Assistance Program prepares emerging and established transportation-related construction firms including disadvantaged, minority- and women-owned firms, as well as veteran-owned and small businesses, to participate as prime contractors and subcontractors on highway and vertical construction contracts, including the Tollway 15-year, $14 billion Move Illinois capital program.
Last year, firms participating in the program submitted more than 300 bids and proposals for Tollway. As a result, firms were awarded more than $37 million in contracts, both construction and professional services in 2022 and reported creating and maintaining more than 1,300 jobs.
Participants in the Illinois Tollway Technical Assistance Program receive comprehensive, customized business development assistance to build financial understanding and business plan development for increased business stability and growth in the transportation-related construction industry. Services are customized to the assessed strengths, challenges and needs of participating firms. Each participant must have been in business three years or more and earn annual revenue of at least $100,000.
The Technical Assistance Program is administered by Inner-City Underwriting Agency Inc. and the Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Technical Assistance providers are available to help construction firms and professional engineering firms interested in working on transportation-related planning and construction projects. They offer a range of services for businesses in areas across the Tollway system. These providers manage programs targeted to regional needs and objectives.