Technical Assistance Program
The Illinois Tollway Technical Assistance Program is designed to prepare emerging and established transportation-related construction firms including disadvantaged, minority- and women-owned business enterprise (D/M/WBE) firms, service-disabled,veteran-owned small businesses (SDVOSB) and veteran-owned small businesses (VOSB) as well as small businesses to participate on highway and vertical construction contracts.
Participants receive comprehensive, customized business development assistance to build financial understanding and business plan development for increased business stability and growth in the transportation-related construction industry. Services are customized to the assessed strengths, challenges and needs of participating firms. This includes education, guidance and feedback on general business and construction-specific operations, including strategic planning and assistance with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) pre-qualification application. Programs are either self-paced (participants determine how quickly the program is completed) or cohort-based (a group setting that invites a collaborative learning environment).
The program is comprised of six providers who offer a range of services for businesses at 10 locations across the Tollway system. These providers manage programs targeted to their region’s needs and objectives.
Technical Assistance Program Providers:
- Construction Business Development Center (CBDC)
- Chicago Minority Supplier Development Council (CMSDC)
- Griggs Mitchell Alma Construction Group, LLC (GMA)
- Community Insurance Center/ Inner City Underwriting
- Illinois Black Chamber of Commerce (ILBCC)
- Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (IHCC)
Who Should Apply
Level 1 - Emerging businesses with little-to-no experience bidding on Tollway or other transportation agency contracts and need for assistance with basic business infrastructure and bid processes.
Level 2 - Established businesses with some experience with bidding on Tollway or other transportation agency contracts; previously awarded Tollway or other transportation agency work as subcontractors; ready to receive assistance to participate on Tollway work as a prime contractor.
How to Get Involved
- Submit a completed Technical Assistance Program application to a preferred program provider.
- An assessment will be conducted by the provider to determine applicant’s needs and review program guidelines.
- A technical assistance plan will be developed to assist participants with business needs.
Applicants who do not meet program criteria will be referred to other resources.