Map Cover Art Contest
Congratulations to Bolingbrook High School junior Luis Chavez, the grand prize winner of the 2017 Illinois Tollway Map Cover Art Contest. Luis’ artwork, incorporating the theme “Enhancing Drivers Experience Via Innovation and Technology,” will be featured on the cover of 75,000 Illinois Tollway maps available for free to Tollway customers beginning January 2017. The other three finalists in the contest are: first runner-up, Alyssa Elborne; second runner-up, Vanessa Arenas; third runner-up, Manuella Rodela. All three runners-up are from Bolingbrook High School. Luis’ map cover design and the artwork of the three runners-up in the contest are displayed below and at Tollway oases.
Sponsored by the Illinois Tollway, Blick Art Materials and MB Real Estate (MBRE)
The Illinois Tollway reached out to talented high school art students to design the cover art for the 2017 Illinois Tollway map. The contest was open to art students at more than 300 public high schools in the 12 counties served by the Tollway. Any high school student enrolled in art class was eligible to enter.
This year’s contest theme is: Enhancing Drivers Experience via Innovation and Technology.
Today’s high school students represent the next generation of drivers, so we want to see their vision for how to address the needs of a more sophisticated driver through technology and innovation. The Illinois Tollway is building state-of-the-art, 21st century roadways to improve travel, reduce congestion and better serve its customers. SmartRoad technology is making the roadway safer, more efficient and more connected than ever. The infrastructure is here and in 2017 we launch our first SmartRoad along the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90).
About the Contest Theme
- provide real-time travel information via electronic overhead signs
- integrate Pace buses for greater options and reliability
- include flexible technologies so new smart features can be added as they come online in the years ahead
The artwork should focus on how emerging technologies can be used to improve drivers experience in one of these areas:
- provide new and improved services
- create a more efficient, reliable way to communicate with drivers
- ensure greater safety
See Your Art In Print
Artwork created by the grand prize winner will be featured on the cover of the Tollway’s 2017 map, which is distributed at no cost to more than 75,000 customers. The grand prize winner and three runners-up will be featured in the Tollway’s 2016 annual report.
A Tollway committee will initially judge all contest entries to determine the 10 finalists. The top 10 entries will be featured on the Illinois Tollway’s website and displayed in galleries at each of the six Tollway oases pavilions beginning October 28. The public will be invited to view the artwork and cast their votes online to choose the top four entries. Voting closes at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, November 4.
The grand prize winner and three runners-up will be selected by a panel of judges, including members of the Tollway Board of Directors and representatives from MBRE.
- Grand prize winner: $400 gift certificate from Blick Art Materials and $200 in gift certificates from MBRE to use at oases retail shops and restaurants
- Runners-up: $200 gift certificate from Blick Art Materials and $100 in gift certificates from MBRE
- A certificate of appreciation for all students who participate in the contest
- Acknowledgment of winners at the Illinois Tollway Board of Directors meeting on November 17, 2016
Deadlines and Rules
The Illinois Tollway Map Cover Art Contest began September 12.
The contest is open to all high school (grades 9 through 12) art students. See link below for all contest-related forms:
- Contest Rules
- Liability/Release Waiver
- Contest Registration
- Contest Flier/Poster
- Contest news Release for school media outlets
- Contest Public Service Announcement Script for school media use
Contact Dawn Rohrback