Map Cover Art Contest
Sponsored by the Illinois Tollway, Blick Art Materials and MB Real Estate (MBRE)
The Illinois Tollway invited talented high school art students to design the cover art for the 2018 Illinois Tollway map. The contest was open to art students at more than 300 public high schools in the 12 counties served by the Tollway. Any high school student enrolled in art class was eligible to enter.
This year’s contest theme is: Celebrating the Illinois Bicentennial.
Illinois is turning 200 years old and students were invited to submit artwork that commemorates what has made this great state. To participate in the state’s 2018 bicentennial celebration, we asked students to submit artwork that focuses on what makes them #IllinoisProud.
Areas of focus may include but are not limited to one or more of the following themes:
- History – What people and events have left their mark?
- Landmarks – What are the best places to visit and things to see?
- Transportation – How has Illinois influenced travel?
- Commerce and Industry – What is Illinois best known for?
Artwork created by the grand prize winner will be featured on the cover of the Tollway’s 2018 map, which is distributed at no cost to more than 75,000 customers. The grand prize winner and three runners-up will be featured in the Tollway’s 2017 annual report.
- Grand prize winner: $400 gift certificate from Blick Art Materials and $200 in gift certificates from MBRE to use at oases retail shops and restaurants
- Runners-up: $200 gift certificate from Blick Art Materials and $100 in gift certificates from MBRE
- A certificate of appreciation for all students who participate in the contest
- Acknowledgment of winners at the Illinois Tollway Board of Directors meeting on November 16, 2017
Contact Dawn Rohrback
And the Winner Is...
A Tollway committee voted to determine the 10 semi-finalists. The top 10 entries were featured on the Illinois Tollway’s website and displayed in galleries at each of the six Tollway oases pavilions. The public was invited to view the artwork and cast their votes online to choose the top four entries.
The grand prize winner and three runners-up were selected by a panel of judges, including members of the Tollway Board of Directors and representatives from MBRE.
Deadlines and Rules
Students will have the month of September and a portion of October to complete their artwork.
Entries must be postmarked by October 13, 2017.
The contest is open to all high school (grades 9 through 12) art students. See links below for all contest-related forms:
- Contest Rules
- Liability/Release Waiver
- Contest Registration
- Contest Flier/Poster
- Contest news Release for school media outlets
- Contest Public Service Announcement Script for school media use