I-490/I-294 Interchange Project
I-490/I-294 Interchange Project
As part of the new I-490 Tollway, the Illinois Tollway is building a new interchange connecting I-490 to the Tri-State Tollway (I-294).
In 2023, work includes continued construction of new ramps to connect southbound and northbound I-294 to the new I-490 Tollway and reconstruction and widening of southbound I-294 between North Avenue and Wolf Road.
Construction Update (12/5/23)
Beginning the week of December 4 and continuing through the week of December 11, bridge beam placement work is scheduled to take place between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. the following morning. The work will include:
- On North Avenue and Lake Street, overnight lane closures will be scheduled in both directions with traffic reduced to a single lane at times. Intermittent, full closures of the local roads, each lasting 15 minutes, will begin at midnight.
- On I-294, one northbound lane is scheduled to close nightly.
- On I-290, lane closures will be scheduled in both directions
- On the ramp connecting westbound I-290 to eastbound Lake Street/North Avenue, 15-minute full closures are also scheduled to begin at 1 a.m. when overnight work is scheduled.
On County Line Road, northbound traffic between East Lake Street to Grand Avenue is detoured to northbound Northwest Avenue and Grand Avenue to reach County Line Road. Southbound traffic continues to have access to County Line Road. Traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration into 2024.
Between North Avenue/Lake Street and the O'Hare Oasis traffic is shifted in both directions, including:
- Between North Avenue and Wolf Road, two northbound lanes are traveling on the southbound side of the Tollway.
- Between North Avenue and St. Charles Road, one southbound lane is traveling on the northbound side of the Tollway.
Traffic is scheduled to remain in this configuration into 2024.
See the Daily Construction Alert for up-to-date information.
Lane closures and traffic shifts will be necessary to provide a work zone and safely accommodate traffic during construction.
Electronic message signs and construction signage will be put in place in advance to alert drivers to scheduled lane closures, traffic patterns and work zone speed limits.
To accommodate interchange construction, lane closures on local roads will also be needed.
Work Zone Safety
The Illinois Tollway is committed to ensuring that the Tri-State Tollway (I-294) remains safe for both drivers and workers during construction, which is part of the agency’s overall commitment to roadway safety.
Work zone speed limits are in effect in all construction zones 24/7 and drivers should continue to watch for changing traffic patterns and use caution, especially when workers are present.
Visit the Tollway’s Work Zone Safety page at illinoistollway.com.
The new I-490 Tollway, coupled with the Illinois Route 390 Tollway, which was completed in 2017, will connect businesses and communities with one of the nation’s busiest airports, transit facilities, major freight transportation hubs, distribution centers and multiple interstate highways including the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) and the Central Tri-State Tollway (I-294).
The Tollway is committed to building green and minimizing the environmental impact of construction by reducing, recycling and reusing materials. In addition to reducing the cost of this work, reuse of these materials reduces the need for virgin asphalt materials and reduces energy consumption, greenhouse gases and the volume of material that would otherwise be sent to landfills.