Terms and Conditions Pay by Plate
The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority’s (Tollway) Pay by Plate program provides patrons with another method to pay tolls. Pursuant to this program, Tollway patrons who register for a Pay by Plate account within seven days of traveling on Illinois Tollway roadways can pay tolls using their license plate information. The Tollway will provide patrons with a Pay by Plate account under the terms stated in this Pay by Plate Agreement. By opening a Pay by Plate account, a patron agrees to the terms and conditions stated below.
Terms and Conditions of the Agreement
- Your Pay by Plate account pays the tolls for vehicles registered on your account by license plate number, state or province of registration, and license plate type as selected by you on the account. You may register multiple license plates on your Pay by Plate account.
- You are responsible for any toll incurred on the Tollway during the specific period stated on your Pay by Plate account for the vehicle incurring the toll, regardless of the driver at the time of a toll is incurred.
- You agree that your Pay by Plate account is an entirely self-service account. You agree to perform any account updates (such as vehicle additions or deletions, and payment card updates and other changes) necessary to keep your account information current and accurate.
- You agree to bear all responsibility for maintaining current and accurate license plate(s) and other information on your Pay by Plate account.
- Failure to correctly register a vehicle license plate on your Pay by Plate account may result in invoice fees and/or fines and penalties.
- Your Pay by Plate account can only be used to pay for tolls on the Illinois Tollway System. It cannot be used to pay tolls on any other toll roads, including but not limited to the Chicago Skyway.
- Pay by Plate accounts are charged for tolls at the cash rate based on the number of vehicle axles and time of day.
- When registering for a Pay by Plate account, you are required to provide a valid payment card acceptable to the Tollway to ensure timely payment of tolls matching to your account.
- By providing a payment card to the Tollway on your Pay by Plate account, you acknowledge and confirm that: you are authorized to provide the payment card information, you are authorized to use the payment card, the payment card is active, and the information you provide is both accurate and current.
- The Tollway will process charges for unpaid toll transactions charged to your Pay by Plate account on a weekly basis, enabling you to register a license plate to your Pay by Plate account up to the 7th day after incurring the toll.
- If a charge to the payment card on your Pay by Plate account is declined, any unpaid toll transactions on your account will be eligible for a second attempted charge during the subsequent week. If the charge is declined again, for any reason, you will be invoiced for any unpaid tolls and applicable additional fees and you may subsequently incur added fines and/or penalties.
- You may view your current Pay by Plate account balance and any processed payments, at any time, by accessing your Pay by Plate account online at www.getipass.com.
- Your Pay by Plate account requires a valid email address. You agree to receive, by email, information relating to your account and to maintain a valid email address on your account. At no time will the Tollway send private details regarding your Pay by Plate account, such as a payment card number, via email.
- If applicable, and if you have signed up for SMS Text messaging, you agree to receive via text certain automated notifications regarding details about your Pay by Plate account, including but not limited to, charges to your account, payment card status updates, such as pending card expirations or declines, and other pertinent information regarding your account. At no time will the Tollway send private details regarding your Pay by Plate account, such as a payment card number, via text.
- Your account may be closed/terminated if:
- You fail to register a valid payment card within 60 days of notification.
- The Tollway receives multiple payment card disputes that result in chargebacks (the reversal of payments).
- The Pay by Plate account is inactive (no toll activity) for more than one year after the last posted transaction.
- Operating a cell phone or any other device while driving is dangerous. Do not access www.getipass.com, SMS Text messages, a Pay by Plate account, or use your mobile or any other similar device while operating a vehicle. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold the Tollway harmless from any and all liability whatsoever for any claim of harm, loss or injury related, in any way, to the use of the Pay by Plate program or to accessing or use of your Pay by Plate account while any kind of vehicle is being operated, regardless of who is operating the vehicle at the time of an incident giving rise to a claim or any liability.
- You agree to immediately notify the Tollway of any unauthorized access to or use of your account or any other breach of security. Your failure to provide such notice shall constitute a waiver of your right to contest any tolls, fees, fines or penalties incurred because of the unauthorized access or breach.
Reminders, Disclaimers and Additional Terms and Conditions
- While driving, you are required to obey all applicable laws, policies, and regulations, including posted speed limits.
- Nothing in this Agreement releases you from liability for fees or fines resulting from your failure to abide by Illinois state laws, rules and regulations.
- Illinois law, without regard to conflicts of law principles, shall govern this Agreement.
- Venue for any disputes arising in connection with your Pay by Plate account shall lie solely and exclusively in the Circuit Court of DuPage County, Illinois or the United State District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.
- If any provision of this Agreement is held invalid, such invalidity shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions.
- The Tollway may change the terms of this Agreement at any time by posting a copy of a new Agreement on the Tollway website. Use of your Pay by Plate account after such posting shall constitute your agreement to the terms of the new Agreement.